
Bon Soir from Haiti! I am sitting in a beautiful spot overlooking the ocean doing yoga on a cool wood deck. Sandey is working on her AMAZING photos. Check out her blog at
tenutophotoblog.com for updated photos. The blog is only a small taste of what she has captured on this trip. I can't wait for you to see the rest. Maybe an art exhibit!
Today we went to visit the Justinian Hospital. We rounded with the doctors and nurses in the peds ward. It was a bit like stepping back in time. Formal white nursing dresses and caps, open air wards, men and women in separate wings. The peds ward was bare bones, peeling walls, incubators that were not even plugged in, rusted beds, power going off and oxygen machines shutting down. No monitors, minimal drugs and blood work and little to no infection control. Yet there was a sign on the door in French that translated to "All children and their parents may enter regardless of nationality.". I love that!
Dr Beyda gave a lecture to the medical interns (in French) on the proper use of CPAP in respiratory distress. He was amazing and the interns really seemed to appreciate his teaching. It was a wonderful close to our first visit to this beautiful country.
I know that in a small way, we started to make a difference in the lives of these forgotten children. I feel honored to have had the opportunity to be here and have hope that Haiti will find itself through the work of incredible doctors such as these.
Tomorrow we head back to Santiago for the opening of a new baseball field for the children of the DR. We will be joined by players from the US. Then one more medical clinic in the DR.
Peace and love!!
Sent from my iPhone from the nearest fair-trade coffee shop or remote hiking trail!
No comments:
Post a Comment